A bit more focus and a good amount of research are all required from your side if you are planning to design a website. The research here should be carried out to know the preferences of your target audience(s). A website that is being built should be based on the research performed on the target audience.
Audiences are the drivers; the foundation for building a successful website.
Suppose if you are completely new to the concept, then go for a trial and error process. It can be time-consuming; at times frustrating but worth the effort.
Remember, the recipe for creating a successful website is to create one for the people with whom you want to associate with.
- Who are you doing business with?
- What do they prefer?
- What do they care about?
Questions as such matter if you are designing a website for your business. Simple, the questions may seem, but finding answers will help you bring all the elements together on your website.
It’s not an enigma that a good website triggers the buying decisions of customers.
Suppose you have a website that sells stationeries, then your target audience will be the children.
Making use of sophisticated technology, bold colors, or crisp short code messages will not appeal them.
Colors can also influence the buying decisions of customers.
Now if you look at the illustration below, it gives a clear picture about the importance of color scheme in website designing.
So this question definitely counts,
How well do you know your audience?
How to Design Website for Target Audience?
- RESEARCH ON TARGET NICHE
- What should be researched on the target demographic?
- i. Age Group
- ii. Gender
- iii. Marital/Family Status
- iv. Geographical Location, and etc
- If you are on to researching your target audience, then do it keeping every website element in the mind.
- You cannot serve your customers unless you know who are they or what they want. Their preferences play an important role in designing a website.
- Graphics are important, especially if you are designing for a particular audience group. The layout, font, and content, everything counts.
- Whether the audience is business executives or children, the flow of the website structure, the colors used, the tone of words (easy terms or industry-specific terminologies) will actually have a critical impact on each group.
- DO NOT COUNT YOUR PREFERENCES
- The Blind assumptions Vs Customer Personas
- The penchant for going with one’s own preference will always be there. But never do that if you are designing a website.
- You have successfully identified your target demographic, found their likes and dislikes, count yourself out and show everyone that no one understands your customers better than you.
- IDENTIFY THE BENEFITS FOR YOUR AUDIENCE
- You know your business, you know your audience, so try and find that USP, which will give people a good reason to do business with you.
- A good content marketing will help you have control over the purse strings of your potential customers.
- When you have already identified what they need, tell them how your business can help them through words that are connecting and impactful.
- In simple words, provide information, which would compel them to complete a sale with you.
- OBSERVE YOUR COMPETITORS
- Suppose, you are selling premium handbags and know you have a good competition in the market, what will you do?
- Basically, anyone would at least for once would go through the competitor’s websites and hunt for ideas, which would keep their business well ahead of others.
- Even you do the same.
- Visit the website, which you feel is well connecting or doing a great business and implement the ideas to have a distinguished approach towards the audience.
- FINALLY, GATHER INSIGHTS AND THE DATA
- What is the data here?
- It is the customer behavior towards a website. We have tools even to monitor that.
- Through Google Analytics, you can find,
- i. The number of times a customer visits your website.
- ii. The duration of the visit.
- iii. Visits Vs Conversions and much more.
- You can actually have a lot of data and graphs to address the customer experience issues.
- Numbers on one side, also see what they personally feel about your service?
- It means you should listen to the social conversations of your customers.
- Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn are some of the popular social media platforms, where people and of course you promote businesses. Once you promote, know about the perception of your customers about your services.
- The more you listen, monitor, the better chance to make strategic business decisions (progressively) in real-time with the changing trends.